I am Nanda Raemansky (1980) a multidisciplinairy artist from the Dutch bordervillage Eede. As an artist, I am fascinated by the concept of freedom, how it works, evolves, is experienced and dealt with.I found that you can divide freedom into 7 main types. Often you will find a combination of multiple types at work at once.
1)Legal/ Illegal freedom 2)Fysical freedom 3)Financial freedom 4)Social freedom
5) Sense of freedom
6) Freedom of speech 7) Mental freedom
- – Freedom of movement , but also the integrity of your body.
- – Can you be yourself? Are you free to meet who you want, when you want? What effect does the social class you belong to, have on your chances and hapiness?
– This is purely a personal experience/sensation. While one can experience something as a true liberation, it can just as well feel rather smothering to someone else. This sensation can also be induced by the small things in life.Like the play of shadow and light or a impressive sunset. A typical lack of this sensation is, when one experiences a so called invisible wall.– Can you express yourself freely without (fear for)repercussions and where lay the boundaries? Should there be any boundaries?
– Althought one of the most difficult freedoms to constrain, there are plenty of efforts done to do so, mostly by inducing fear or a sense of dependence. Advertisements, politics and religions are often trying to manipulate people this way.I tend to seek for traces of these freedoms or the lack of them in social commentary, urban spaces, graffiti and street art movements. For a broader perspective I tend to consult documentaries, books, history, newsprograms & talkshows.